Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Airbus A-380 - so tell me again, why are we building this airplane?

I read today in the NY Times that 18 US airports are building expanded taxiways and terminal facilities to the tune of $1 billion, all to handle the Airbus A-380 super jumbo jet. So my question is this. Why? Is there really a market for
an 853 seat airplane? how many routes can justify that kind of capacity? Okay...a few. Manila to Bahrain. London to Delhi. Sydney to anywhere.

I love aviation even more than the next guy, but I really have to question the market analysis for the A-380. It's a gorgeous airplane, but count me among the critics that feel there is just limited routes, limited airports, and limited airlines that will embrace this beast. Oh...don't forget, since AIrbus isn't selling many of them, the
y'll cost a fortune.

I hate to say it, but I predict an Air Bust!




No comments: